For most motorcycle fanatics, there is nothing that can compare to being on the road in beautiful weather. Unfortunately, hopping on a motorcycle also means that a motorcycle accident might happen. According to the U.S. NHTSA, motorcycle crashes claimed the lives of 4,976 in 2015. That was 8% more people than 2014, and those numbers do not include the people who were merely injured in motorcycle accidents or were lucky enough to walk away unharmed.

Motorcycle accidents cause death and serious injuries because the motorcyclist is not protected like a driver or passenger in a car. If you were fortunate enough to walk away from a motorcycle accident with your life, you likely still have questions. The following is a compilation of Pennsylvania Motorcycle Accident FAQs to help you as you work your way through the aftermath of any motorcycle accident, whether you were the motorcyclist or the other driver involved.

Q:  Is lane splitting illegal in Pennsylvania?

A: If you were injured in a motorcycle accident and the cause of the accident was lane splitting, you might wonder if lane splitting is even legal in Pennsylvania. For those who are not aware of what lane splitting is, it might be more fitting to call it lane sharing. Lane splitting is when a motorcyclist rides in the same lane as another car. Typically, this happens when a motorcyclist is trying to pass a passenger car or when vehicles are stopped in a construction zone or at a red light and the motorcyclist continues to ride by, maneuvering between the paused vehicles.

Lane splitting is illegal in every single state of the United States, with the exception of California. It is illegal because is it extremely dangerous. If an accident occurs due to a motorcyclist that made the decision to lane split, he or she will most likely be found at fault for the accident. Of course, there are so many factors at play in any accident, so the fault will depend on the combination of all of them. If lane splitting is the only contributing factor of an accident, then the motorcyclist will certainly be found to be at fault.

Q: What should I do if I was injured in an accident that was caused by a hazardous roadway?

A: There are times when accidents are not caused by negligent drivers. In some cases, the roadways that you are driving on could be hazardous. If you suffered injury in an accident that was caused by a hazardous or dangerous road, you may be able to recover damages.

All roads, no matter where they are in Pennsylvania, are required to be maintained to a certain level of safety. For example, if you were injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by a hidden pothole in the road, you could file a claim against the party or parties that are responsible for that part of the road.

Q: What if my motorcycle accident was caused by a defective part?

Another way that motorcycle accidents occur is when a defective part of the vehicle malfunctions. Some motorcycles are sold with low quality parts or parts that have been built or inspected by an employee that was not properly trained. If you want to find out if you have a valid defective product claim, you should contact an attorney who is skilled in pursuing defective product claims. Your attorney can investigate the facts of your motorcycle accident and hold either the manufacturer or the designer responsible for the damages and injuries that you sustained.

Q: If my injuries are not serious, do I need a motorcycle accident lawyer?

Because injuries often remain undetected for weeks or even months after a motorcycle accident, it is always a good idea to call a motorcycle accident lawyer anytime an accident occurs. Before you call an attorney, though, be sure to seek medical attention from a trusted physician. Your physician should evaluate your physical state and provide you with appropriate advice and guidance pertaining to your recovery. He or she can also consult with you about any possible future treatments and complications. After you have been to your physician, you can contact a motorcycle accident attorney who can advise you about your legal options.

Q: What can I do if I lost a loved one in a fatal motorcycle accident?

If you lost a loved one in a fatal motorcycle accident, you should contact an attorney who handles wrongful death lawsuits. Wrongful death lawsuits can be difficult because one’s emotions are running high. But, when the lawsuit is over, you could potentially collect all of the expenses related to your loved one’s death, including funeral expenses and burial costs, all of the medical bills that resulted from the motorcycle accident, and even compensation for emotional damage and lost wages.

If you have been injured or you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident in Pennsylvania, our Pennsylvania motorcycle attorneys can help you pursue the compensation that you are entitled to. Give us call today at (877) 415-6495 today so we can discuss the details of your case.

(image courtesy of Abhijeet Somvanshi)